Proper, routine home maintenance not only save you money but also helps keep the environs within and around your property looking clean and presentable. You may be amazed by the amount of waste that your home can produce when neglected.
Overall, running a tidy and organized ship goes a long way in having a family that looks clean and healthy. Below are some unconventional home maintenance tips that most homeowners overlook.
- Never assume anything that you find broken or damaged. Ensure you fix what is repairable and throw away what is beyond salvaging.
- Check the AC and heating system bi-monthly to ensure it is clean and works correctly. Consider having it inspected if you hear any strange noise or there is a change in the flow of air or heat.
- Conduct a visual inspection of the attic and crawlspaces every other month to ensure no unwanted visitors are living and breeding there.
- Check your laundry and dishwashing appliances to ensure all is well. Examine the pipes for leaks or signs of corrosion and check the dryer for any loose vents or eve they are blocked with lint.
- Inspect the kitchen appliance every other month to ensure they are clean and working correctly; this is not only proper maintenance but also plays a significant role in upholding good hygiene in the kitchen.
- Regularly mow the lawn and trim the shrubs and ensure that you water the greens to keep them looking strong and healthy.
- Check the switches and power outlets for any visible wires and have them repaired. While at it, check for any discoloration: it can be a sign of electrical damage that should be identified and fixed.
- When getting rid of dirt around the house, work from top to bottom. Get rid of the dust and cobwebs on the ceiling and walls, then proceed to dust the furniture and vacuum them as well as the rugs before mopping the place.
- Lastly, you should have a home maintenance and inspection checklist that you update annually. It will ensure that you never miss a thing even these unconventional tips mentioned above.